Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ALL HAIL SARA RAMIREZ

An open love letter to the Grey's Anatomy star.
By Alex Nagorski



Dear Sara Ramirez,

Hot dayuuuuum, girl. I knew you won a TONY for Spamalot, but who knew your voice could massacre pop like that? And I mean that in the best way. Like … that was some crazy Kelly Clarkson shit you pulled on Thursday’s musical episode of Grey’s. The second you opened your mouth for those opening notes of “Chasing Cars,” I knew that I’d be crying for the whole hour. At that moment, every fear I had about Grey’s even having a musical episode vanished. 

I have to say, props are due to not only you, but the whole team behind Grey’s this season. Let’s be honest, season 1? Good. Season 2? Best season of any show on TV, like … ever. Season 3? Ugh, marry me. Season 4? Okay I still like you enough to not break up with you, but ... Season 5? GHOSTS, REALLY?!? Season 6? Um, okay, bye. Season 7? Reunited and it feels so gooooooood.

Sara_ramirez_musical My point is that Grey’s has been solid gold this season. All the risks and experimentations the show has been doing have resulted in some of the best episodes of the series yet. Like that documentary-style episode? Pure genius. I saw characters who I’ve consistently watched for 6.5 years in a completely different light. That real-time episode where it was just one hour in the OR, down to the last second? My heart was pounding just as loudly as when those two strangers had that giant pole stuck through their chests after that bus accident in season two.  And now, the musical episode.

Which brings me back to my point: is there a church dedicated to you? Because I’d like to go pray in it. All day. Every day. Ever since you released your debut EP last week, I’ve literally not listened to anything else except for your exquisite cover of Brandi Carlile’s “The Story.”

Upon my first listen, I was instantly floored. You brought so much emotion to the song. You did this amazing job of not just sounding beautiful as your voice soared, but also conveying that you were on the brink of tears. The amount of rawness and vulnerability you delivered just left me speechless. And then when you sang it at the end of the episode (although that version is slightly different than the one on your solo EP), I felt like I was the one about to flatline just from everything I was experiencing watching and listening to you.

Even without the music, this episode was incredibly emotional. In true Grey’s fashion, the mix of trauma and sexy comedy provided the formula for an hour of television I couldn’t turn away from. I mean, one minute you’re all giddy and singing Runnin’ On Sunshine while getting your mack on, and then literally a SECOND later the music stops and it cuts to you lying on the hood of your car, all bloody from going through the windshield. Talk about buzzkill, geesh.

Your character’s storyline has been my favorite this season. The whole triangle between you, Arizona, and Mark is just so addicting. When Mark yelled at Arizona and said that she was “nothing” because he was the biological father and you were the biological mother of your unborn child, I felt the harsh sting of his slap on my face. What a bastard! And then when Arizona was holding your hand while you were unconscious and was talking about how she “feels like your wife” and “feels like the mother of our baby” … I just lost it.

My only qualm with this episode was the lack of Ingrid Michaelson music. Nobody can argue that “Keep Breathing” is not just as quintessential to Grey’s as “Chasing Cars” or “How To Save A Life.” But alas, creator Shonda Rhimes is already talking about a potential second musical episode, so here’s holding out hope for that. Might I recommed Addison for the song? You know how much I love her ...

Greys-anatomy-music-event-sara-ramirez-abc-2-320 But don’t get me wrong. I really appreciated the song choices. Literally each and every song brought me back to another moment of the show that made my heart sink. When Bailey was singing “Waitin,’” I couldn’t help but remember that scene when Izzie is in the parking lot of the hospital saving that woman who can’t speak English. When Lexie sang “Breathe,” the bomb episode exploded in my head. And of course when “Chasing Cars” played, I couldn’t not think of Denny dying. But I won’t talk about that anymore because it’s still a sensitive topic …

Kudos to you and the Grey’s team all around. The episode was truly an accomplishment. Haters can step to the left. While you completely stole the show, everyone did a terrific job. And thank you to everyone that has made Grey’s Anatomy the ultimate guilty pleasure in my life.
Now if you excuse me, I’m going to go back to listening to “The Story” on loop.

Much love,
Alex Nagorski

P.S. Next time you see my girl Meredith (Ellen Pompeo), wouldja give her a “GOOD JOB BABY!” for me? That “why is the universe so miserable?” monologue she gave in the elevator was in-fucking-credible. Grade A acting. It's already going on my list of favorite Meredith speeches right behind the one I aptly title, “You can’t call me a whore because you made me one." Ok, seriously now though. Back to “The Story.”

Originally published on Crazytown Blog

No comments: